Sat May 20th

U12 Division 6

Ballinhassig 3 Lakewood Athletic B 3

In a game very much of two halves, the Lakewood boys took a point in a well contested and exciting match. Lakewood were missing several players again and unfortunately, but typically, started very slow. Several defensive errors in the first half and they had conceded 3 early goals. Tareq in goal was given very little chance with any of them. A reshuffle of players and positions resulted in a more stable set up with Owen on man to man duties on their very fast midfielder. That’s not to say that Lakewood didn’t have chances in the first half but lady luck was not with them. Both Ronan and Luke had broken through the Ballinhassig defence but both shots were too close to the keeper. Both players also had certain goals cleared off the line in the first half. Lakewood also scored a goal but it was deemed off side. Lakewood were starting to wake up as the first half ended with a three nil deficit to reflect on.

As the second half started it was clear that the first half hangover was fully gone as 30 minutes of constant pressure and shots rained down on Ballinhassig. Ronan was rewarded with the first goal as their keeper spilled his shot and it ended up in the back of the net. This second half must have seen at least a dozen or more Lakewood corner kicks expertly taken by David. Nearly every one resulting in at least one shot, and sometimes 3 or 4, being cleared off the line. If it wasn’t a shot it was a header with Owen having many attempts cleared off the line. Ballinhassig kept packing the box in an attempt to stop the ball but Moeez was aware of this and his shot into the roof of the net went under the crossbar to open his league goalscoring account. The Lakewood boys were up for this now, 3-2 down but closing in on a win. Ronan broke through again after a great through ball by Diarmuid and hit a fantastic shot into the far corner only to be saved by their keeper. Fantastic shot, fantastic save. Ronan got his second to level the match from another corner and the resulting goal mouth scramble. Still the shots rained in and Arran came closest with a fine shot hitting the post. Constant pressure for the second half and Lakewood had done more than enough to win the match but had to settle for a share of the spoils. The boys showed great determination and commitment to come back from three nil down and deserve great praise.

This Lakewood team may apply to the CSL to have their matches played in reverse, with the second half played first in an attempt to capture the form they typically show in the second half. Joking aside, more of the second half performance and stronger defence will see this team improve match on match