Sat Sept 23rd

U14 Division 2

Buttevant 2 Lakewood A 2

In very blustery conditions the Lakewood U14A’s headed to Buttevant for an early morning league match under the guidance of guest managers Brendan and Adam. The players were warned not to concede the early goal and nearly got away with it. Buttevant’s goal came after 10 minutes from one of the home teams numerous free kicks awarded throughout the match. The free kick was taken on the wing just outside the area and launched behind the defensive line. A communication error between the defender and keeper allowed the large Buttevant midfielder to poke the ball home before David Hurley could get to it. Buttevant were dominant for a further period, not aided by the referee brandishing warnings and yellow cards to the Lakewood players who were wrongly objecting to some of the decisions. Lakewood were caught napping once more and only saved from a 2 goal deficit by a fine save from David as a Buttevant player broke through the defence and shot well on target. A few player and positional changes steadied the ship and Lakewood took control of the match. The revitalised Lakewood were rewarded when Fionn O’Shea’s long range effort couldn’t be stopped by the Buttevant keeper. The second half showed what this Lakewood team are about, pure grit and determination. The defensive line was more effective now and the right wing was having great success with great runs and inter passing between Adam O’Sullivan and U13 Owen Beamish, with both of them making it into the Buttevant penalty area numerous times. In fact it was Adam who controlled the ball in the area from a great long ball before the keeper could get to it to lay it back to Fionn to lob the defender on the line to take Lakewood into a 2-1 lead. The Lakewood attack were dominant now and were only denied more goals by bizarre offside decisions. Three or four further yellow cards were given to only Lakewood players in this half, a very unusual occurrence from this team that may pick up only a couple all season. As the minutes wore on it looked as if Lakewood would be heading back home with all 3 points but in the last minute of play Buttevant were somehow awarded another free kick just outside the area on the wing. The ball was launched very high and just went under the bar as David got his hands to it but was forced over the line by advancing Buttevant players. With the referee calling a halt to proceedings very soon after Lakewood had to settle for the point but somehow had the feeling that we earned and deserved all 3.